A ‘comprehensive oral exam’ is defined by the ADA as “… an extensive evaluation and the recording of all extraoral, intraoral and soft tissues”.
A ‘periodic oral exam’ is defined by the ADA as “… an exam that is done on established patients to determine any changes in dental and health status since a previous comprehensive or periodic evaluation”.
It is recommended by the American Dental Association (ADA) that new patients receive a comprehensive oral exam when they first visit the dentist. Regular patients should undergo this exam every three years.
It takes a whole appointment to undertake a full comprehensive oral exam. The following is a general list of what is covered:
- Periodontal exam (the gums and bones that support the teeth)
- Full dental Exam
- Head and Neck Cancer Exam (soft tissues of the mouth, throat, and other structures)
- Occlusal Exam (bite analysis)
- TMJ Exam (jaw analysis)
- Radiographic Exam (x-rays and other scans)
- Salivary Function Exam (production of saliva)
- Aesthetic Exam (how the teeth look in relation to the face).
Nothing is left to chance with a comprehensive oral exam. Your dentist will check everything there is to check regarding your oral health. It is recommended that this type of exam is performed before any of the following procedures:
- Changes to your smile
- Replacing lost teeth with implants
- Upgrading old dental restorations
- Having been diagnosed with a disease or a medical problem.
Book an Appointment Today
The first step towards a beautiful, healthy smile is to schedule an appointment. Please contact our office by phone or complete the appointment request form online
Brickyard Dental Clinic
201- 6010 Brickyard Rd
Nanaimo, BC V9V 1S5